[linux-lvm] Mirror fail/recover test

jose nuno neto jose.neto at liber4e.com
Wed Feb 24 16:14:20 UTC 2010

Hi

I'm trying to test the failure of a SAN Mirrored Lv, and the recover and
check for data lost.

Im runing RedHat 5.4
2.6.18-164.2.1.el5
lvm2-2.02.46-8.el5_4.1

I create a 2mirror+log lv ok, can lvconvert to one leg only, can delete ok.
But when I simulate a disk fail either with
dd if=/dev/zero of=pvmirror_device
echo offline > /sys/block/pvmirror_device/device/status

lvs -a -o +devices
stills shows the lv has mirrored ( should switch to non-mirrored right?) ,
and show Unknonwn device on the pvmirror_device I destroy

When I issue a lvconvert -m 0 complains about pv --uuid not found, if I
try to pvcreate --uuid pvmirror_device I got a error complaining about
still mounted device
If I try lvconvert --repair i hangs forever

What should be the correct procedure to recover from this?

Thanks
Jose

believed to be clean.