Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshot rollback

On 09/23/2009 03:40 PM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 03:04:22PM -0600, Eric Brunson wrote:

I remember seeing somewhere discussion of adding the ability to roll
back to a snapshot.  I think of how cool this would be about ever six
months, usually coinciding with an impending Fedora release.  ;-)

The developers are just starting to submit their patch sequence to the
development mailing lists (dm-devel and lvm-devel) for review.  So
that's targetting linux-next in the next few weeks ready for the 2.6.33
kernel.

>From the newly released 2.6.33 kernel changelog, does this mean what I think it means?

commit 53365383c4667aba55385cd1858582c19a7a8a36
Merge: 51b736b d2fdb77
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds linux-foundation org>
Date:   Tue Dec 15 09:12:01 2009 -0800

    Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-2.6-dm

    * git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-2.6-dm: (80 commits)
      dm snapshot: use merge origin if snapshot invalid
      dm snapshot: report merge failure in status
      dm snapshot: merge consecutive chunks together
      dm snapshot: trigger exceptions in remaining snapshots during merge
      dm snapshot: delay merging a chunk until writes to it complete
      dm snapshot: queue writes to chunks being merged
      dm snapshot: add merging
      dm snapshot: permit only one merge at once
      dm snapshot: support barriers in snapshot merge target
      dm snapshot: avoid allocating exceptions in merge
      dm snapshot: rework writing to origin
      dm snapshot: add merge target
      dm exception store: add merge specific methods
      dm snapshot: create function for chunk_is_tracked wait
      dm snapshot: make bio optional in __origin_write

If it does, then I'm very excited.  :-)
e.