Re: [linux-lvm] What is holding back clustered snapshotting?

On Jan 5, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Madison Kelly wrote:

Hi all,

I know that, currently, this isn't supported. Would someone be able to explain or point me at a place to read up on what is holding this feature back? What are the difficulties? Is it just a question of time, or are there certain technical hurdles in the way?

 Thanks for any input!

The solution isn't ridiculously hard. It has actually been implemented a couple times by me and at least once by Mikulas leveraging a locking interface I had proposed. (You can search the various dm-devel archives for them.)

Our current priority is to improve the snapshot implementation (shared snapshots), but cluster snapshots is on the todo list. It does tend to be a matter of time. As I said, a couple implementations have come forward, but it requires a team effort to push it upstream - the priority hasn't been high enough for it to surpass other things on the list.

 brassow