[linux-lvm] alternative to pvmove on root volume

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Fri Jan 29 18:26:31 UTC 2010

> On 01/28/2010 09:11 PM, chris procter wrote:

> > pvmove has a nasty habit of deadlocking the machine when used on root
> > volumes.
>
> please report bug then, with system configuration (lvmdump)
> and process backtrace (log from echo t>/proc/sysrq-trigger)
> when it deadlocks.
>
> pvmove should work for moving root volume
> (except some special situations, like when you increase log level
> and log itself is on moved LV)
>
> (And I used pvmove several times myself to move system disk to another
> without any problems on RHEL5.3)

Unfortuately this project is mostly RHEL4 boxes (its an old SAN, nothing new has been added to it in a couple of years) and so thats what I've been testing with (RHEL4.5 to be precise) so if you really want me too I'll file a bug but I'm pretty sure it will just get closed with "upgrade to a modern version of lvm" :)

chris