[linux-lvm] Rebuilding ext4 filesystem on an LV

Ken Bass daytooner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 01:30:40 UTC 2010

In short:

- originally created LV with several physical drives (5)
- formatted LV for ext4
- one physical drive got many sectors trashed. Those included the partition
and metadata.
- did the following to recover the LV (VolGroupX-LogVolX):
---pvcreate --uuid <original uuid>  /dev/sdX  (successfully created)
---vgcfgrestore VolGroupX (restsored volume group VolGroupX)
---vgscan  (found volume group "VolGroupX" using metadata type lvm2)
--- vgchange -ay VolGroupX ( note response:
" device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument.
 1 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroupX" now active")

At this pont, /dev/mapper/VolGroupX-LogVolX exists, but I can't run any
utilities on it, since it can't find any superblock. For example:
________________
[root at Elmer ken] # e2fsck  /dev/mapper/VolGroupX-LogVolX
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
e2fsck: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/mapper/VolGroupX-LogVolX

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

[root at Elmer ken] #
I really want to recover at least the data on the 4 other drives, and any
data left from this drive as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

ken