[linux-lvm] Online Update by using alternate root partition (as in Solaris)

Hi All,

This is about the online update on a linux machine. For instance, on a running machine (RHEL 5.5), software update has to be carried out without affecting the active root partition(LVM2 is used here), i.e., on an alternate root partition or environment , can snapshots help? Also, after updating in order to check the status of my update, can I boot from the alternate partition (if possible above)  and then if it works fine, can I sync the data into the older partition with these changes?

Thanks & Regards,
Renil Thomas