[linux-lvm] Adding a disk to expand an existing logical volume

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Wed May 19 16:28:37 UTC 2010

On 10-05-19 12:09 PM, kevin wrote:
>> The mkfs isn't supposed to be there, just set the new drive's partition
>> to type '8e' (Linux LVM).
>
> Thanks for the quick response. So to recap, for a 144gb drive (/dev/sda1) :
>
> 1. fdisk /dev/sda1 type 8e
> 2. pvcreate /dev/sda1
> 3. vgextend existing_group_name /dev/sda1
> 4. lvextend -L+144G /dev/VolGroup00/existing_group_name
>
> Does that look correct?
>
> Thanks so much once again,
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

   I've been meaning to add this process to my wiki for a while now.
This is as good a time as any, so take a gander here:

http://wiki.alteeve.com/index.php/Adding_Space_to_an_LVM

   Note that it's a copy-pasted from some of my other docs, so some of
it will reference non-existing things, but the steps should all be there.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com