[linux-lvm] Adding a disk to expand an existing logical volume

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 17:28:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM, kevin <k at kevinkevin.com> wrote:
> One last thing I want to confirm is the lvextend command to 'grow' the
> logical volume :
>

> lvextend -L+144G /dev/VolGroup00/my_volume
>
> After all said steps in previous messages on this thread are complete, is
> the above command correct for my particular scenario? Do I want to 'extend'
> the volume size or 'grow' it?
>
> Not sure what the difference is.

Chiming in a little late here but I would suggest the following
(although I'm certainly not a LVM expert):

lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/VolGroup00/my_volume (notice the lower case
l in -l, not upper)

This should make sure you add 100% of the extents of the new drive to
your logical volume. As I've said, I'm not an expert so I don't know
the innards of "lvextend" but I would be concerned that if you specify
the size of the expansion in gigabytes instead of as a percentage that
you might get some unallocated extents due to rounding.

Richard