[linux-lvm] Adding a disk to expand an existing logical volume

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Fri May 28 23:16:33 UTC 2010

>  If you aren't familiar with lvm.conf, then using labeled partitions
> is a safer course.  (initrd uses a copy of lvm.conf to find PVs so it
> can activate the volume group of the root filesystem if necessary.)

   Perhaps my point was obscured by my other text, so I'll highlight it:

> > It makes booting an recovering much more reliable in case of
> > changes or problems.

   Agreed, if all the devices are listed in lvm.conf, mdadm.conf,
etc. and nothing changes or has any problems then whole devices
work fine.  As long as all of the configuration files list everything
and initrd knows about any changes.  It's when something's not exactly
how it was originally configured that it's really handy for raid devices
to be marked as such by using partition type "fd", LVM devices to be
marked as such by using partition type "8e", etc.  That's been my
experience.  Your experience may differ, but that's my experience
from dealing with a lot of "won't boot" situations.

   Having said that, if you use partitions it's important that
the partition types not be WRONG.  I once spent far too long
trying to figure out why my devices were undetected.  It turned
out a RAID or LVM partition was marked with the default "83".
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/