[linux-lvm] advice for curing terrible snapshot performance?

Joe Pruett joey at q7.com
Fri Nov 12 22:28:37 UTC 2010

my understanding of how the lvm does snapshots is that a write causes a
lookup to see if that extent is dirty or clean.  a dirty extent just
writes directly, a clean extent causes a copy from the main volume to
the snapshot volume and some amount of bookkeeping to track that the
block is now dirty and then the write completes to the main lv.  so a
test where you are creating a bunch of updates would cause a write to
turn into a read and two writes, so i'd expect more like a 3x hit.  and
i guess that the bookkeeping may have some sync calls in it, which could
cause some major stalls as caches flush.

have you tested the snapshots under normal load, and not test load?  you
may be seeing the worst possible behavior (which is good to know), but
may not really occur under typical usage.