[linux-lvm] Need help with a particular use-case for pvmove.

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Sat Nov 13 23:22:38 UTC 2010

> However pvmove tells me that I cannot do this with a missing drive. I
> can't figure out why this should be. Logically I shouldn't need access
> to the volume groups or logical volumes
> All I want to do is move physical extents from one physical volume to
> another. Both of those volumes are present and accessible. Why should
> uninvolved missing volumes be an issue, and is there any way around
> it?

   All of the PVs in a VG have a copy of the metadata that you are
wanting
to change, the description of which extent is stored where.  If you
chnage
it while some PVs are missing, there will then be two inconsistent
versions
of the metadata for VG, with diffeent PVs disagreeing on where the
extents
are.
--
Ray Morris