[linux-lvm] mounting a filesystem on LVM2

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Oct 5 06:33:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> > Hence the question: What filesystem is on this lv?

Whatever filesystem you decide to put there.

> I was searching what is the code 83 corresponds to that I could not find
> because if I remember 83,84 like that it was used for ext3/etx4 but
> when I used cfdisk
> i could not find a hex code corresponding to ext3,ext4.

There are no codes for ext3,ext4.  There is a code for "Linux Fileystem".
Actually, you can put any code you feel like, and put any filesystem
you feel like.  It won't make any difference for creating and
mounting the filesystem.  The codes are strictly for documentation.
In some cases, they are also used for heuristics, like auto starting
raid arrays that are marked with the raid code.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>