[linux-lvm] Snapshots and disk re-use

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Apr 6 00:43:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

>> lvcreate -L20G -s -n data_snap /dev/vg0/NewCustomerLV /dev/hdb7
>>
>> Is that correct? No Leakage? And no zeroing needed?
>
> Correct.  Except vgextend needs to specify a VG.  And you still need to zero
> a customer LV before removing it.  The PV reserved for snapshots approach
> only avoids the need to zero snapshots.

In fact, since you still have to zero an LV before removing, you might as well
zero an LV when you allocate.  Same overhead.  Then you don't need to mess
with any of these schemes to deal with snapshots.  Did we already cover
that obvious solution?  We did discuss a utility to optimize zeroing an
already mostly zero LV.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>