[linux-lvm] Recovering Accidentally Destroyed LVM2 Information

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Apr 27 03:41:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, Chris Streeter wrote:

> So, I accidentally called lvremove instead of lvchange -a n Then I
> realized my mistake and tried to restore the logical volume. But that
> made the disk seem empty.

You didn't restore the LV, you created a new one.  That clears the first
block, so you likely will need recovery efforts on your erstwhile
filesystem.

What you *should* have done is restore the metadata to the point before
your errant command.  You can still do that (if it is still in the archive),
but the several K of zeros written to the start of the LV you created will
require recovery.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>