[linux-lvm] Proper way to delete an active snapshot?

Linda A. Walsh lvm at tlinx.org
Tue Aug 30 11:32:02 UTC 2011

If you have a snapshot of a volume running... how are you supposed to delete
it?

i.e. after you unmount it... if I just do a lvremove, I get a warning
about it being
an active volume -- so I tried doing a dmsetup remove on it first -- and
that
stops the warning -- but I just noticed, I had a bunch of inactive 'cow'
volume names under 'dmsetup ls', that referred to the old snapshot names.

so I'm guessing that using dmsetup to remove the dev first, then lvremove is
NOT the best way to be doing this...(as it results in stuff that needs
to be cleaned
up...)...

So how do I remove the volume w/o getting warnings about it being 'active'?

(Unless, of course it is still mounted or something lame like that -- I
mean I want
a warning to actually mean something...otherwise I start ignoring them,
which is bad
(at least for me..)).