[linux-lvm] what use is virtualsize -- or how is it to be used?

I just saw it in the man page, and first thing I tried was creating a logical volume by just giving a --virtualsize, arg -- thinking it would 'auto-extend it' as needed.

Nep.

Next was looking on the net and seeing an example that gave it some small size (-L 1G),
with a virtual size of 2G.   So what is that supposed to do?

I just now thought to copy a bunch of files ( that differed from yesterday to today) to a tmp partition) but had it fail miserably when it REALLY failed upon reaching the physical
limit -- not the virtual limit!)....

I was trying to use rsync to copy from a snap from yesturday of /home that was mounted on /ohome to 'home.diff' (the partition that I used 'virtual size' with, ... I gave it a real
size of 1G, and a virtual size of 1T.

Using rsync, I had --compare-dest=/ohome (where I mount yesturday's snap) and copied from /home to /home.diff (the virtual partition).... Well the diffs were > 1G, so had hoped /home.diff would expand to it's virtual size... Anyway, got I/O errors, after I ran out of space. Ok, so *that*'s not what virtual size is for...either!
Anyway, I unmounted the now 'corrupt' /home.diff, and tried to remove it...
Got all sorts of i/o errors using lvremove Home.diff. (-f didn't work either).

Got it to remove with lvremove -f /dev/PV/Home.diff
That gave I/O errors too, but successfully completed...

So what's virtual size good for, anyway?