Re: [linux-lvm] what use is virtualsize -- or how is it to be used?

On Fri, Jul 08 2011 at  7:17pm -0400,
adultsitesoftware gmail com <support bettercgi com> wrote:

> Virtual size lets you create a 200G file system om a 20G LV and then lvextend as needed, without the need to resize the filesystem. Read about sparse files for ideas of other uses.
>
> It'd like a sparse device in that blocks need not actually exist until they are written to.
>
> It currently has a performance and flexibility impact that prevents us from using it, though we would like to.

Please have a look at the DM thinp target that was just posted to
dm-devel.

We don't have lvm2 support for this thinp target yet, we are working on
it, but thinp is a much richer solution that should address your needs.

Mike