[linux-lvm] Bug! lvs shouldn't need 'root' access

Linda A. Walsh lvm at tlinx.org
Sun Jul 10 17:40:13 UTC 2011

When I do an lvs to look at he sizes of my devs, I get:
lvm> lvs
  WARNING: Running as a non-root user. Functionality may be unavailable.
  /dev/ram0: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/dm-0: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/ram1: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/sda1: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/dm-1: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/ram2: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/ram16: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/ram17: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/sdb1: open failed: Operation not permitted
  /dev/sdc6: open failed: Operation not permitted
  No volume groups found.

Thing is, ll '/dev/sd?' show:
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  0 Jul  8 23:52 /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 Jul  8 23:52 /dev/sdb
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 32 Jul  8 16:52 /dev/sdc
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 48 Jul  8 16:52 /dev/sdd

and me:
 > groups
tty disk mail wheel games audio SYSGROUP  www squid trusted named
ldap backup unix_users home private powerd ....

Notice 'disk'....

and notice how group disk has same perms has uid 'root'??

I could write to the darn things!, but all I NEED is read (hmmm
maybe I should change the perms on those devs to 640, but besides
the point)....I should be able to read them!  (any WHY is lvm
looking at all the ram disks?   Do that many people use lvm with
ram disks?  (possible, but don't see it as very useful).

So what's going on?  are all the user's associated groups being
dumped somewere?

Shouldn't have to become root just to get status of things (like
running 'top', etc...)