[linux-lvm] Resizing underlying LVM partition after cloning to bigger disk

Lyn Rees Rees at cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 10:13:47 UTC 2011

Why don't you just make a new partition and add it to the VG, then expand
the LV. Isn't that the point of LVM?
Mr Lyn Rees
Senior Engineer, UIG
Information Services Computing Centre
Cardiff University, 40-41 Park Place,
Cardiff. CF10 3BB.
Contact numbers:
(029) 2087 9188 (direct)
(029) 2087 4875 (reception)
(029) 2087 4285 (fax)
Email: rees at cardiff.ac.uk
Web: www.cardiff.ac.uk

From:   "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart at bmsi.com>
To:     LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm at redhat.com>
Date:   03/03/2011 20:27
Subject:        Re: [linux-lvm] Resizing underlying LVM partition after
cloning to bigger disk
Sent by:        linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, Scott Arthur wrote:

> Partition Table: msdos
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
>  1      32.3kB  296MB   296MB   primary   ext4         boot
>  2      296MB   1000GB  1000GB  extended
>  5      296MB   1000GB  1000GB  logical                lvm
>
> I'm obviously wanting to expand the LVM partition to fill the remaining
1TB
> of space.
>
> Am I able to simply use parted to resize the partition before doing a
> pvresize etc?
>
> Or is it risky to resize the underlying LVM partition?

You are getting to a size where msdos partition tables are risky.
Don't they crap out at 2TB?

--
                       Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>
    Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703