[linux-lvm] lvremove or vgextend: metadata too large for circular buffer

Andrew Gideon ag2827189 at tagmall.com
Sat Mar 12 03:48:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:01:54 -0600, Ray Morris wrote:

>    What I did was to allocate MUCH more space on the new PVs,
> make a new VG from them, then copy LVs from one of the old PVs. Then
> recreate that PV with more metadata space, add it to the new VG, etc.
> until all of the PVs are in the new VG, with far more metadata space.

Creating a new VG is my worst-case scenario, but that will be expensive
in terms of time - time during which I cannot do expansion of volumes.
It's a little frustrating.

How risky is the idea of editing a backup file and doing the restore?  If
I screw it up, I can always do a re-restore of the proper data, no?

Thanks...

	Andrew