[linux-lvm] vgexport usage

Males, Jess jmales at cio.sc.gov
Thu Mar 17 17:32:55 UTC 2011

>From 'man 8 vgexport':
vgexport allows you to make the inactive VolumeGroupName(s) unknown to  the  system.

By 'unknown to the system' I would expect it would not appear in vg listings such as vgs (shown below) or vgdisplay.

[root at icarus lvm]# vgcreate junk /dev/loop1 /dev/loop2 /dev/loop3
  Volume group "junk" successfully created
[root at icarus lvm]# vgs
  VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
  junk         3   0   0 wz--n- 48.00M 48.00M
[root at icarus lvm]# vgchange junk -a n
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "junk" now active
[root at icarus lvm]# vgs
  VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
  junk         3   0   0 wz--n- 48.00M 48.00M
[root at icarus lvm]# vgexport junk
  Volume group "junk" successfully exported
[root at icarus lvm]# vgs
  VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
  junk         3   0   0 wzx-n- 48.00M 48.00M

However, more disturbing is that if I remove one of the disks, lvm complains about a missing item.

[root at icarus lvm]# losetup -d /dev/loop2
[root at icarus lvm]# vgs
  Couldn't find device with uuid 1gNBDl-dOqI-OQid-TIcq-8Lp2-qUa2-PwdvnB.
  VG         #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
  junk         3   0   0 wzxpn- 48.00M 48.00M

Am I expecting the wrong things from this command?

Thanks,

-- Jess Males