[linux-lvm] How to fix missmatch between VG-size and LV-size?

Fredrik Skog fredrik.skog at rodang.se
Tue Mar 29 15:21:55 UTC 2011

Hello,

While adding a new disk to my LV i ended up with a crash during the resize2fs. Now I have LVM reporting different sizes for my VG and LV.
How do I fix this?

I tried to do a "vgreduce vgftp /dev/sde1" to remove my new drive again. This only gives me an error "Physical volume "/dev/sde1" still in use"
If I can revert the adding of the new drive, I planned on trying to vgcfgrestore to an archived config from before I added the drive and did the lvextend and resize2fs.
Is this a good way of solving the problem? I guess it's not possible to lvreduce the LV by the same amount i did lvextend it before, because the system still thinks the LV is the old size. I just want to get rid of the PV i added to the VG

I'm a bit confused on how to do this.

# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vgftp
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        13
  Metadata Sequence No  67
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                12
  Act PV                12
  VG Size               5.59 TiB
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              1464180
  Alloc PE / Size       1089649 / 4.16 TiB
  Free  PE / Size       374531 / 1.43 TiB
  VG UUID               kOApX5-oTeV-cPWr-h41J-NxML-sbbj-WcKObC

 # lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vgftp/lvftp
  VG Name                vgftp
  LV UUID                l4EWSh-GOfD-n0Sx-7ZSG-RTVi-p7fC-ApyHZS
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                4.16 TiB
  Current LE             1089649