[linux-lvm] N00b Question: Logical Volume without a Logical Volume Group ?

Dan White ygor at comcast.net
Tue Nov 1 18:39:52 UTC 2011

Is a logical volume group necessary before one can start making mountable partitions ?

I'm trying to work with a SAN.  We were allocated a 10Gb LUN to "play" with. Another admin created a logical volume on the LUN and then made a single partition out of the logical volume.  The flow I am familiar with from Red Hat's GUI is to first make a logical volume group, then make partitions in the group that I can adjust in size as necessary.

Are both workflows valid ?

Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)