[linux-lvm] new to cLVM - some principal questions

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Nov 25 18:10:08 UTC 2011

On 11/25/2011 12:49 PM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:

>> the cluster.
>
> Yes, but "STONITH" is a wonderful acronym.

>> holds the lock.
>> methods. It will
>> looping forever

>> node is gone
>> releasing it.

>>> But you said "So DLM thinks that Node 1 was fenced, clears
>> it's old locks and gives a
>>> new one to Node 2" How can node 1 get access after
>> unfreezing, when the lock is cleared ?
>>
>> DLM clears the lock, but it has no way of telling Node 1 that
>> the lock
>> is no longer valid (remember, it thinks the node has been
>> ejected from
>> the cluster, removing any communication). Meanwhile, Node 1 has no
>> reason to think that the lock it holds is no longer valid, so it just
>> goes ahead and accesses the storage figuring it has exclusive
>> access still.
>
> But does DLM not prevent node 1 in this situation accessing the filesystem ?
> DLM "knows" that the lock from node 1 has been cleared. Can't DLM "say" to node 1:
> "You think you have a valid lock, but don't have. Sorry, no access !"
>
> Bernd

Nope, it doesn't work that way. There is no way for DLM to tell the
server to discard any locks. First of all, DLM thinks the node is gone
anyway. Secondly, Node 1 could have hung in the middle of a write. When
it recovers, it could be quite literally in the middle of a write which
is finished. DLM doesn't act as a barrier to the raw data... it's merely
a lock manager.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron