[linux-lvm] more vg problems or oddities...not using dmsetup remove seems to be bad?

Linda A. Walsh lvm at tlinx.org
Mon Sep 12 04:05:49 UTC 2011

I might as well nuke the merge....I'd have to restore 2 images to
restore all the files
to this morning....if something went bad, but if I wait around...

I can't see it merging block diffs on an actively mounted file system...that
would just be insane!

really seems like best thing would be to nuke the merge somehow, then
wouldn't
have to resort to backups...

Restoring a TB of data takes a bit of time...

The file system it's trying to merge to is my home dir...
(where all my work goes...;-)...

But while past performance is no guarantee of future performance, currently
my system's uptime stands at 44 days, so it could be a while before said
merge
happens, or ... could happen sooner if I 'try to fix it'....;-)
(power is on UPS, so usually reboots happen because I do something  --
usually planned,
but occasionally after shooting one's self in foot...)...

Since it can't start the merge...seems like there should be a way to
stop it w/o causing problems.

**--case in point re:shooting self in foot -- merging 8 day old snap
w/current vol in trying to
work around bugs...*sigh*

You may be right...the force option may be less painful that fixing this
merge thing
if it goes south...