[linux-lvm] more vg problems or oddities...not using dmsetup remove seems to be bad?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Sep 12 13:57:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Ray Morris wrote:

> --force means, in my opinion at least, "Yes, I know what I'm doing.
> I understand why the system is saying I better not do this, but
> I want to force it to happen anyway". When it's used to mean "I don't
> understand what's going on, I don't know why this is a bad idea,
> but do it anyway", that sounds to me like a recipe for problems.

The problem is, when the snapshot is "active" (has an 'a' in the status
in lvs), but not "open" (no 'o' in the status), lvremove still
refuses to remove, complaining about the LV being "active".

There seems to be some confusion about terminology.  Active means
it is loaded into device mapper and mapped to /dev/vgname/lvname AFAIKT.

Fortunately, lvremove -f seems to complain when the LV is actually open.

In the OP problem, we don't know the exact error message, so perhaps
the snapshot really was open.  In any case, she needs to stop the
merge from happening the next time the LV is activated.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>