[linux-lvm] RHEL: special ownership for lv devices?

Carlos Eduardo Tavares Terra eduardo.terra at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:15:52 UTC 2011

Klaus,
Have you tried to use the package oracleasm?

This package installs some binaries to manipulate ASM Disks, creating new
devices (based on the originals /dev/sd*), into /dev/oracleasm/ and changing
the owner of the devices.

Oracle Database does not use raw devices in RHEL anymore, by default. They
recommend installing this package and administrate everything by it.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/linux/asmlib/index-101839.html

I hope this helps.

Regards,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Klaus Lichtenwalder <
lichtenwalder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just can't find any pointers. Problem is, our database guys want to
> use Oracle ASM (which is some kind of raw devices). To not mix things up
> between regular volumes and ASM devices, we decided to put them into a
> special vg (yes, oracle recommends against it, but you somehow has to
> administer the machines. And looking into their shell scripts, it seems
> to not being a thing of reason but more the lack of know how of handling
> arbitrary block devices).
> Anyway, we'd like the devices to end up with owner oracle:dba. There
> seems to be no way, as udev does not create the devices but vgchange, to
> change the ownership than by using a start script somewhere between
> vgchange time and oracle asm start up.
>
> Is there any other, more "canonical" way?
>
> Klaus
> --

Carlos Eduardo Tavares Terra
Red Hat Certified Engineer