[linux-lvm] LVM pretends it has more space than it actually has

Gijs info at bsnw.nl
Wed Sep 21 18:32:28 UTC 2011

Unfortunately I can't find all the old LVM configs that the system used.
I was in the process of moving my root filesystem to the raid-5 array.
Since I needed the root to be unmounted for that, I used a FC15
USB-bootable rescue system to do the copying of the root to the raid-5
array. And that's when things went wrong. Since the rescue system is
pretty much run from memory, I don't have the LVM configs that were
created when I was using the rescue system. I do have older configs that
were created when I was creating the raid-5 array on the system itself,
but those don't show anything wrong from what I can see. (and I guess
that's correct, since nothing was wrong at that time)

I tried assembling/recreating an array on the PV-device, but that just
gave me the error "mdadm: no raid-devices specified." So I can't really
find an array on the LVM devices either.

Some info I got from the PV:
[root at poseidon ~]# pvdisplay -m /dev/md127
   --- Physical volume ---
   PV Name               /dev/md127
   VG Name               raid-5
   PV Size               3.64 TiB / not usable 0
   Allocatable           yes
   PE Size               4.00 MiB
   Total PE              952919
   Free PE               5252
   Allocated PE          947667
   PV UUID               ZmJtA4-cZBL-kuXT-53Ie-7o1C-7oro-uw5GB6

   --- Physical Segments ---
   Physical extent 0 to 714687:
     Logical volume      /dev/raid-5/data
     Logical extents     0 to 714687
   Physical extent 714688 to 714933:
     FREE
   Physical extent 714934 to 714953:
     Logical volume      /dev/raid-5/data
     Logical extents     947647 to 947666
   Physical extent 714954 to 719959:
     FREE
   Physical extent 719960 to 952918:
     Logical volume      /dev/raid-5/data
     Logical extents     714688 to 947646

The empty spaces inbetween are from LVs there were created before. And
the 3rd segment is from when I tried to resize the data-LV to see if
that made any difference. It obviously didn't since it was the PV that
was actually too small, not the LV, which I figured out later.

 From what you say, it indeed sounds like I messed up some command that
caused an array to be created on an LV, but I can't really find any
evidence that I really did that. Is there any other explanation that LVM
is acting this way? Is it perhaps possible to tell LVM to run of the
configuration stored in /etc/lvm, instead of the metadata embedded on
the PV?

There's also something that I don't understand. Why is it just the
data-LV? I had a swap and root LV as well, and those activated just
fine. Why would LVM have trouble activating the data-LV when it had no
trouble activating the swap/root-LV?