[linux-lvm] Debian 64bit get a "Volume vg0 not found" message

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Sep 22 14:50:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, Brent Clark wrote:

> I ended, up taking a initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64 from another server and
> placing it in /boot.
> And that worked.
>
> But what I dont understand is, in the chroot environment, I restalled the
> kernel, lvm2 packages, ran mkinitramfs and update-initramfs. Nothing would
> work.
>
> So ultimately, I still dont have the solution. :)

A chroot doesn't have enough info to reliably run mkinitrd on RedHat.
I'm assuming the same is true for Debian and mkinitramfs.  Things
like volumegroups work fine - the usual problem is device drivers.

Mkinitrd has --with to include specific drivers.  For instance,

mkinitrd -v --omit-scsi-modules --with=xenblk --with=xennet initrd-2.6.9-100.ELxenU.img 2.6.9-100.ELxenU

To include xen drivers for a virtual machine or

mkinitrd -v --with=megaraid ...

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>