[linux-lvm] lvremove snapshot hangs LVM system

Dan C dcodix at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:05:47 UTC 2012

I've read about that in the mailing list, but all the messages were quite
old, and always referencing old kernels, so I decided to post it again.

My system is as follows:
Linux 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 5 17:19:54 CDT 2011 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cman-3.0.12-23.el6.x86_64
corosynclib-1.2.3-21.el6.x86_64
corosync-1.2.3-21.el6.x86_64
lvm2-devel-2.02.88-3.el6.x86_64
lvm2-libs-2.02.88-3.el6.x86_64
lvm2-cluster-2.02.88-3.el6.x86_64
lvm2-2.02.88-3.el6.x86_64

I am running LVM as a cluster as:
clvmd -T30

The discs on the LVM groups are all on a SAN connected with FC.

I am working in a two-node cluster.

As I needed to use the snapshot features I have some volumes just active in
one of the nodes. As far as I know this is the only way to snapshot volumes.

Everything works fine. I am able to create volumes. I am able to put
volumes in "exclusive use" and it gives me the capability of snapshot.
Snapshooting works fine.

My problem comes when I "lvremove" a snapshot. It seems to work fine, and
the snapshot is removed, but, whatever LVM command I execute after that
hangs forever in an "uninterruptible sleep" (D).

After that, for a while, I can see some errors on the log(attached
messages.log). After a while those messages stop, but LVM command yet won't
respond.

The rest of the system works perfectly, the only problem is that I cannot
make modifications on LVM system.

The only way to solve the problem is by rebooting the machine.

As a note say this only happens "lvremoving" a snapshot. Removing a volume
works fine.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, as I read that problem use to
happen with older versions but it was supposedly solved.

Does someone else have this problem?

Thanks a lot.