[linux-lvm] Translating device name from sar to a filesystem

Reza Gholdor gholdorreza at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:18:45 UTC 2012

Hi All,
I am a DBA trying to determine if I/O is a bottleneck for an Oracle
11g database running on RHEL 5.7 x64 on VmWare ESXi 4.1. I monitor disk
activity using "sar -d" and get device names like dev8-0 and dev253-17. I
have tried to translate these device names to filesystem names without
succes. Can someone provide instructions on how to find filesystem build on
a device name from "sar -d"? Are there any giudeline or better commands for
determining if I/O is a bottleneck?
Appreciate any help.
Regards,
Reza