[linux-lvm] lvextend NEVER works but screws up

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Aug 24 11:55:35 UTC 2012

On 08/23/2012 11:18 AM, tariq wali wrote:
>  lvresize to extend an lvm ? how
>
> also I cant create a new lvm don't have that much space and the to
> extend the new one and it would mean downtime . don't think it's an
> issue with filesystem tools , lvm has NEVER been consistent in my case .

The resize2fs on RHEL5 does not support ext4.  Your error message is the
one reported when you try to resize an ext4 filesystem with ext2/ext3
tools.  You need to either install e4fsprogrs and use resize4fs (and
e4fsck), or do the resize in the virtual machine you are apparently
running a newer OS in.