[linux-lvm] lvextend NEVER works but screws up

tariq wali ganaiwali at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 11:46:56 UTC 2012

Guys , thanks much for your time on the issue, really appreciate it . I had
tried everything suggested so far (lvresize/extend) updated filesystem
tools etc

@Stuart D Gathman , YOU ARE THE MAN SIR :) and nailed it down .

I wanted to reproduce the same issue again and i did that not know how
ignorant I was being ..

# lvextend -L +40G /dev/vg0/bin-logs
  Extending logical volume bin-logs to 110.00 GB
  Logical volume bin-logs successfully resized

lvs
  LV       VG   Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  bin-logs vg0  -wi-ao *110.00G*
  data     vg0  -wi-ao 380.00G

resize2fs /dev/vg0/bin-logs
resize2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
resize2fs: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open
/dev/vg0/bin-logs
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

#this is where I would get psyched , i did the same thing to all my ext2/3
filesystems and have extended file systems online without an issue for
years ..but did I fforget the file system type this time , yes indeed I for
got we have started doing ext4 on all our new servers and didn't realise
ext4 fancies it's own bells and whistles ..

I ran the all new resize4fs as suggested by Stuart , and it made my day in
fact it made for the whole week's frustration :)

resize4fs /dev/vg0/logs
resize4fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Filesystem at /dev/vg0/logs is mounted on /bin-logs; on-line resizing
required
old desc_blocks = 7, new_desc_blocks = 9
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/vg0/logs to 37408768 (4k) blocks.

The filesystem on /dev/vg0/logs is now 37408768 blocks long.

lvs
  LV   VG   Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  data vg0  -wi-ao 350.00G
  logs vg0  -wi-ao *142.70G *

PS: I am raving fan of lvm all over again :)

thanks everyone and issue closed !

Tariq

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Stuart D Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com> wrote:

>  On 08/23/2012 11:18 AM, tariq wali wrote:
>
>  lvresize to extend an lvm ? how
>
>  also I cant create a new lvm don't have that much space and the to
> extend the new one and it would mean downtime . don't think it's an issue
> with filesystem tools , lvm has NEVER been consistent in my case .
>
>   The resize2fs on RHEL5 does not support ext4.  Your error message is
> the one reported when you try to resize an ext4 filesystem with ext2/ext3
> tools.  You need to either install e4fsprogrs and use resize4fs (and
> e4fsck), or do the resize in the virtual machine you are apparently running
> a newer OS in.

*Tariq Wali.*