[linux-lvm] Snapshots

Mark Woodward markw at mohawksoft.com
Thu Feb 16 13:25:02 UTC 2012

I have been looking into LVM2 for a while now and while I think it is
useful for a range of applications, its seems pretty limited in overall
scope.

Is there any active development happening? Most of the code seems like
bug-fixes or minor tweaks. Is the snapshot system being improved?
Specifically, snapshots of snapshots? thin provisioned snapshots or
auto-expand (i.e. snapshots don't run out of space).  If you look at
technologies like ZFS snapshots are far better supported, but ZFS will
probably never be real under Linux, and it really is far more than is
really needed.

So, I guess my questions are these: Is LVM in maintenance mode or is
there active development? If it is being actively developed, is there a
road map and is there a group or site specifically dedicated to the
development?