[linux-lvm] Resizing a logical volume which is mounted (at /home)

Males, Jess jmales at cio.sc.gov
Tue Jan 17 14:36:48 UTC 2012

Log in as root:
-              either once the system is completely booted, log in as root with the graphical prompt
-              boot into single user mode. i.e. stop grub in its countdown, edit the boot configuration by appending single to the list of kernel parameters

Or, boot with a live CD/USB environment.

I would recommend this last option.  Depending on the live environment, you might have to manually detect the volume group, but you're outside the installed system so you can change any logical volume without worry or conflict.

I would suggest the real lesson from all of this is: unless space constrained, never commit 100% of your vg.  The whole point of abstracting your disk into lvm is for flexibility, and how can you have flexibility without a little spare disk to apportion later?  I say this because you sound ready to slice X GB off lvhome and immediately commit it all to other logical volumes; keep some as spare.

-- Jess Males