[linux-lvm] [Linux-lvm] Need help in understanding the logical to

Alheid, Gregory alheidgj at upmc.edu
Fri Mar 2 14:47:30 UTC 2012

> . . . I want to see the entire sequence of address translation from
> a logical address given by the application to the physical address . . .

Don't do any RAID5 since it is done in hardware . . .

But running  "lvdisplay -m <a_vg>"  does give a mapping
of logical volume extents to physical extents

# echo ; lvdisplay -m datavg |
   egrep "LV Name|Logical extent|Physical [volume|extents]"

  LV Name                /dev/datavg/u01
  Logical extent 0 to 5119:
    Physical volume	/dev/sdb
    Physical extents	0 to 5119
  LV Name                /dev/datavg/u02
  Logical extent 0 to 1279:
    Physical volume	/dev/sdb
    Physical extents	5120 to 6399
  LV Name                /dev/datavg/arch01
  Logical extent 0 to 9982:
    Physical volume	/dev/sdb
    Physical extents	6400 to 16382