[linux-lvm] Fun and games with mirroring

Brassow Jonathan jbrassow at redhat.com
Wed May 23 15:16:09 UTC 2012

On May 22, 2012, at 2:59 PM, Vic wrote:

>> LVM requires that for an LV to be activated while there are missing PVs,
>> the '--partial' flag must be used.  If the script running vgchange does
>> not include '--partial', your mirror won't be activated.
>
> I tried that. It didn't work.

Pardon me, but I was only half way done with my explanation at that point.  The solution I was proposing to the problem began with "It seems to me that the solution might be...".  I described the difference between the two mirroring solutions so that it would be clear that solving this issue is probably not as simple as adding a '--partial' flag.

It would be very important to distinguish between the two mirror types and other LV types - linear for example.  The start-up scripts would probably be wise to automatically handle the case you are describing.  (I agree, you should be able to kill one of your devices while the machine is down and it should come up fine.)  However, if you encounter a linear LV - as Bryn mentioned - perhaps we should abort or force the user to confirm that they'd like to attempt to continue.

 brassow