[linux-lvm] LVM2 recovery on IP-SAN after OS re-install

tariq wali ganaiwali at gmail.com
Mon May 28 18:40:56 UTC 2012

Hi,
 We had an OS crash on x86_64 CentOS , LVM2 and it had 6TB LUN  via  IP
SCSI SAN mounted to it and after the OS reinstall on a crash we had hard
time to mount the original SAN volume as you can imagine 6TB
of marketing data with 3 LVM partitions as data data1 and data2 . After
troubleshooting almost for a day I was able to get the LVM metadata using
dd from the SAN LUN /dev/sdd1 which I used to recreate and restore all LVM
partitions back to original state , we sure became the raving fans of LVM
today ! however after all the recovery I see this annoying warning each
time I execute any of the lvm commands ..

lvs
*  Found duplicate PV XtGmeFOiCTWpLBckKZKlGtYKPVdBgVJn: using
/dev/sdd1 not/dev/sdc1
*
  LV    VG   Attr   LSize Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  data  vg0  -wi-ao 2.00T
  data1 vg0  -wi-ao 2.00T
  data2 vg0  -wi-ao 1.44T

I believe previously we had  created PV using /dev/sdd1 and /dev/sdc1
although from the same LUN but now I was able to restore everything using
just /dev/sdd1 and everything looks intact (until I hear marketing whine
tom:)

vgs -o +devices
  Found duplicate PV XtGmeFOiCTWpLBckKZKlGtYKPVdBgVJn: using /dev/sdd1 not
/dev/sdc1
  VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize VFree Devices
  vg0    1   3   0 wz--n- 5.45T 8.06G /dev/sdd1(0)
  vg0    1   3   0 wz--n- 5.45T 8.06G /dev/sdd1(524288)
  vg0    1   3   0 wz--n- 5.45T 8.06G /dev/sdd1(1048576)

 lvs -P -a -o +devices
  Partial mode. Incomplete logical volumes will be processed.
  Found duplicate PV XtGmeFOiCTWpLBckKZKlGtYKPVdBgVJn: using /dev/sdd1 not
/dev/sdc1
  LV    VG   Attr   LSize Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert Devices

  data  vg0  -wi-ao 2.00T
/dev/sdd1(0)
  data1 vg0  -wi-ao 2.00T
/dev/sdd1(524288)
  data2 vg0  -wi-ao 1.44T
/dev/sdd1(1048576)

I tried to fix this by but it just won't go..
vgreduce --removemissing vg0
  Found duplicate PV XtGmeFOiCTWpLBckKZKlGtYKPVdBgVJn: using /dev/sdd1 not
/dev/sdc1
  Volume group "vg0" is already consistent

why does LVM think that it's still using PV ( /dev/sdc1 ) when it no more
exists ? and how do i get rid of it ?

I also see some of these in syslog messages

hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdc1.
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdc1.
hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdc1.
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdc1.
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdd1.

thx,
Tariq