[linux-lvm] how to recover after thin pool metadata did fill up?

Joe Thornber thornber at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 13:35:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:21:35PM +0300, Andres Toomsalu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm aware that thin provisioning is not yet production ready (no metadata resize) - but is there a way to recover from thin pool failure when pool metadata was filled up?

We don't support online resizing yet.  But you can do this offline by following these rough steps:

i) dump your metadata device to a text file using thin_dump.  You may
   want to eyeball this to see if it's what you expect.

ii) Create a new metadata lv.  Better to create a completely new one
    than try and extend the old one and risk losing data if you make a
    mistake.

iii) Use thin_restore to write the dump to the new metadata volume

iv) Tell lvm to use the new metadata area for your pool.  I'm not sure how to do this last step.  Kabi can you help please?

- Joe