[linux-lvm] merge two lvms on same VG

flavio-redhat at zipman.it flavio-redhat at zipman.it
Mon Sep 10 15:49:39 UTC 2012

On 09/05/2012 02:16 PM, tariq wali wrote:
> Hi, I had a situation to combine two LVM's on the same VG , other than
> wiping the existing ones and recreating a new one is there a way to
> merge the two on same VG ?

No. You must delete one of the 2 and extend the remaining one.
If you don't have enough space to save all the data in the LV that you
want to delete, you can manually shrink the filesystem on it, shrink the
LV, extend the other LV, extend the filesystem and move data. Then
restart shrinking and extending until all the data is moved.

--
Flavio Visentin

A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows