[linux-lvm] LVM snapshot with Clustered VG [SOLVED]

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Fri Mar 15 18:38:10 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 08:46:53PM +0300, Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
> I also thought about dlm one (may be the next step :) ),

Let me know if you decide to start work on this and I can probably lend
some help.

> Of course, I fully agree that clvm is just a big hack from the today's
> point of view and something need to change here.

Since you're open to hacking components together, here's another possible
hack:  you could create a gfs2 file system on the shared storage, and use
file locks on gfs2 files.  The gfs2 files could be the actual vm images,
but they do not have to be.  You could still use lv's for vms directly,
and create empty files on gfs2 representing each lv.  The virtlockd file
locks would be acquired on the empty gfs2 files, representing the lvs.
This is another indirect way of using dlm locks, since the gfs2 file locks
are passed to the dlm.

Dave