Re: small 'rmdir' bug on EL3 and EL4?

John Haxby schrieb:
Rainer Traut wrote:
You only confirm the issue.

Another example of the problem.

[tr netplan2 bin]$ cd /tmp
[tr netplan2 tmp]$ mkdir myDir
[tr netplan2 tmp]$ rmdir -v myDir/ 2>/dev/null
[tr netplan2 tmp]$ mkdir myDir
[tr netplan2 tmp]$ rmdir -v myDir/ 1>/dev/null
rmdir: Verzeichnis wird entfernt, myDir/
[tr netplan2 tmp]$
What problem?

Do you mean that the output caused by "-v" appears on standard error rather than standard output? Why do you consider that to be a problem?

As I said in my first post, I have cron scripts which should only give output if there is something wrong.

But 'rmdir' with -v option always writes to stderr so I always get mails from these scripts.

Fwiw 'rm' does not show this behaviour.

Rainer