Re: small 'rmdir' bug on EL3 and EL4?

On 04/09/07, Rainer Traut wrote:
> Michael Schwendt schrieb:
>
> > since apparently you want a completely silent rmdir.
>
>  From what do you conclude?

Redirection of stdout and stderr to /dev/null. If you wanted error
output, you would redirect stdout (1) only, but not stderr (2).

> I said:
>
> "As I said in my first post, I have cron scripts which should only give
> output if there is something wrong.

But that is not what option --verbose does. If you don't want the
extra output for each processed dir, don't add the option. The option
doesn't give you any other output.

> But 'rmdir' with -v option always writes to stderr so I always get mails
> from these scripts."

Then why do you use that option?

If it wrote to stdout, that would be useless, because a) you redirect
stdout to /dev/null, and b) in general the diagnostic output would be
lost whenever somebody redirected stdout to /dev/null. ;o)