Re: gcc 4 <--> gcc 3

Iain Morrison wrote:
Dear all,
we have recently needed to use gcc 4 [to compile an R library]. Apologies if this is a FAQ but do we need to do anything else except
[
after an initial

cp -p /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc3
cp -p /usr/bin/g++ /usr/bin/g++3
]

Don't do that, it leads to an unmaintainable insupportable mess.

If your base system does not meet your requirements, it's best to upgrade to one that does.

3 à 4

cp -p /usr/bin/gcc4 /usr/bin/gcc
cp -p /usr/bin/g++4 /usr/bin/g++

4 à 3

cp -p /usr/bin/gcc3 /usr/bin/gcc
cp -p /usr/bin/g++3 /usr/bin/g++

Is it feasible to use gcc4 as the default compiler or should we stick with the RHEL AS 4 U5 default? Is 3 still the RHEL 5 default?

Don't even think of using gcc4 as the primary compiler on a RHEL{3,4} system you expect anyone to support. Read the description of gcc4 for a clue.

thanks

iain

Iain Morrison
IT Manager