Re: mysterious crashes

If you're nic supports it, set up netdump for, at the very least, syslogging any panics or last minute messages that just dont make it to the disk.

John Summerfield wrote:
Shawn Gendle wrote:
Bad memory can do this. If you think it's a possibility, try running memtest86 on in. Helped me out several times before.
 -Shawn

If you have an exact (hardware) replica, swapping the disks over is a worthwhile diagnostic measure too.

I too am inclined to think it's hardware, but software (particilarly third-party drivers) can also do it.

btw you didn't mention whether you tried to ping or otherwise approach the system over the LAN. Several times I've had a system apparently frozen (in X). but been able to connect over the network.

Rigoberto Corujo wrote:
We had a similar problem.  It turned out to be a bug
in the bnx2 network driver for which there as a patch.
 I believe it had to do with a buffer filling up, if
I'm not mistaken.

Rigoberto

--- Justin Zygmont <justin cityfone net> wrote:

I guess it's just a hang.  The lights look ok, but
its frozen solid.
Each time I have a top session running, and
everything looks fine, no high loads or wait states, almost no swap being
used.

Howard, Chris wrote:
Crashes or hangs?

Is the disk access light flashing?