[ANN] nspluginwrapper 1.3.2

David A Benjamin davidben at mit.edu
Sat Apr 23 19:48:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

nspluginwrapper 1.3.2, a development snapshot leading to 1.4.0, is now
available.

Changes from 1.3.0:
* Work around lack of client-side windows in Flash
* Fix race condition when NPP_Destroy was called while viewer is busy
* Fix build on modern Linux platforms
* Support NPAPI 0.24, in particular, Flash can now query for private browsing
* Don't export any symbols but those necessary
* Support XEmbeding npplayer into another application
* Remove NPClass::HasMethod cache; it was incorrect
* Fix initializing two wrapped plugins with the same name in the same process
* Work around Qt bug that breaks npplayer when Kopete is installed
* Release implicit grabs before forwarding events to fix Flash context menu hang
* Work around Firefox quirk that broke windowless Flash in Firefox 4
* Bind wrapper and viewer event loops together to avoid many many race conditions
* Redesign NPRuntime bridge to avoid leaking proxy objects
* Incorporate release number into ident string so update works on distro patches

A release tarball is available here:

http://web.mit.edu/davidben/Public/nspluginwrapper/nspluginwrapper-1.3.2.tar.gz

md5sum: 0f85e10f3c10b199dbdc188d62d77981
sha1sum: dad24ef907410ab12363c5d48ac66f4d9c4f5f34

The new git repository is hosted on github.

https://github.com/davidben/nspluginwrapper

Notes for packagers:

First, this is the first release since January 2009! There are quite a few
changes. In particular, the NPRuntime bridge got all but a complete
rewrite, and the synchronization mechanism was reworked. I am not aware of
any regressions and both fix some serious problems with the old code. That
said, it could use testing, so this release is intended to be a
development release. There will be a 1.4.0, so I would recommend waiting
for that before updating stable releases.

Second, please look over /all/ of your patches. I suspect none of them
apply anymore. I have gone through all I could find and applied or rewrote
the ones that make sense. I believe the only relevant patches left are
wrapper management ones (src/npw-config.c). I intend to resolve that mess
for 1.6.0. If anyone is carrying my patches to NPP_Destroy and
delayed_calls_process (Fedora and Ubuntu?), the reworked NPRuntime bridge
and sync code make them unnecessary.

Finally, any distributions that have modified the wrapper management code
will want to look over the update process very closely. It has almost
certainly never been tested; the -u option skips updating wrappers whose
version strings match the current one. Unfortunately, that version string
only took into account the upstream version number, so the code has done
nothing for the past two years. It now takes into account the release
number in the nspluginwrapper.spec file, so remember to update it when
adding patches that change the wrapper. I made notes on the situation
myself, but they may be inaccurate.

http://web.mit.edu/davidben/Public/nspluginwrapper-directory-patches.txt

If you run into problems, please let me know. It helps to run your browser
with NPW_DEBUG=1. You'll get a lot of debug spew.

Regards,

David Benjamin