RE: [OS:N:] Know thine enemy...

Ok, here's what I'd like everyone to do, but no one will like it, which is why
it isn't going to happen:

EVERYONE switches away from Windoze, preferably to GNU/Linux, without any kind
of Windoz emulator or networking support. This happens over a period of weeks,
at the most.

Over the next few months, software is developed more for Linux than anything
else, and much like the way Windoz is today, there has to be a Linux version
for everything; otherwise, they'd have much smaller audiences, mainly little
old ladies who are afraid of change and former M$ employees who can't get over
the crash of their all-M$ 401k's and have gone into shock.

Older software that no one wants to make a true Linux port of is recompiled
with the Wine libraries, but eventually, like most old software, either
becomes extinct or makes new, better, GNU/Linux versions.

Not all software is free or open-source, but enough is that technically, you
could never use closed-source or proprietary software again. This is true
today, but only so far.

Finally, as companies evolve into the new economy (or die) we start paying for
hardware and services (like techuspport and training), rather than software
that costs so little per package (next to nothing for M$ pre-installed, even
counting labor costs) that until now, we've all been paying way too much for.

This isn't going to happen, so for the moment, we're forced to make Windoz
ports of open-source software, develop projects like Wine, and whine about
Windoze every day. Because the question I hear most often is "What's the
point?" when I mention Linux, and there really isn't too much of an answer.
Sure, you can say it's faster, more reliable, and so on, but there are people
who are so deluded by Microsoft's lies that they actually would trust M$ more
than Linux, praise how Windoze is such a good product, etc.

And there are the people who don't know the difference, except that every
program on Linux exists on Windoz (whether the same program or a clone -- it
often seems like various programs (notably DOS utilities) have been taken from
*nix utilities of the same name) and there are Windoz programs that no one has
ported to Linux. Wine is still Alpha, and hard for experts to configure, much
less the average user, so they figure that until they get a really compelling
reason to switch, they'll just keep going with Windoz.

That's why I'd like an overnight revolution. My mom has a subscription to a
program that delivers CDs to her every month, which she has to install over
the old ones. Imagine if one day, she got a CD that said "Linux Only". What
would she do? She'd either get rid of the CD and complain to the company (not
likely) or she'd ask me to install Linux for her.

Catch 22. Cheers.