Re: [Osdc-list] Points system

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 12:56:17PM -0500, Jason Hibbets wrote:
> What other sites do you use that have points systems that you like?
> Why do you like them?

Reddit's seems perfect and is very simple. It would honestly surprise me
if Drupal didn't have something very similar.

All posts and comments can be upvoted or downvoted, and the score for
that post is upvotes minus downvotes. (YouTube's thumbs up/down system
is similar but really only used to highlight well-liked comments and
hide well-disliked comments.)

The algorithm for sorting posts and comments within a page or thread is
more complex and relies on how old the post/comment is, but I'm not sure
that matters much for our medium. (Reddit is all open source code
written in Python, too, so it wouldn't be that hard to grab their
algorithm for that.)

--
Ian Weller <ian ianweller org>