Re: [Osdc-list] Points system

Hey everyone,

Thanks for weighing in so far. I left the topic rather broad at first to see where folks were at on the spectrum.

The concept of having a points system on opensource.com was to provide the ability / framework to highlight our users and contributors.

My opinion is that I think having a ranked system may not work well. I've heard from multiple people some re-occurring themes:
- keep is simple (with references to how hackernews and reddit do it)
- be transparent about how it works

I think the main things we are interested in is to find a way to incentivize people to rate, comment, vote in polls, and vote up/down. Do you think a points system would accomplish that?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Hibbets wrote:
Hi opensource.com users.

We just posted a discussion on our Facebook page about adding a points system to opensource.com - http://www.facebook.com/opensourceway?v=app_2373072738#!/topic.php?uid=162962298056&topic=18458

Feel free to help start the conversation there, or, if you'd like, we can collect feedback via the mailing list as well.

*Points system*
We're looking at installing a Drupal point system module on the site. What do you think?

What other sites do you use that have points systems that you like? Why do you like them?

Thanks,
Jason

Project Manager | Brand Communications + Design
Red Hat :: 1801 Varsity Drive :: Raleigh, NC  27606

http://opensource.com -- Where open source multiplies