Re: [Osdc-list] Points system

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:45:25AM +0100, Werner Gold wrote:

> @Quaid: Here is another interesting one:
> http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/tom_chatfield_7_ways_games_reward_the_brain.html

Yeah, it's true that this stuff works and interests people.  What
happens with me, though, is that I notice when many places seem to
have learned a similar set of lessons.  For example, it now seems that
every site has "badges" that you can "unlock".  So I get rewarded for
a new account, my first comment, etc.  *yawn*  It doesn't interest me
when everyone does it.

However, I've recently been tracking my daily cardiovascular workout
using a program on my Android phone, and the badge that it puts in the
status bar with how many (kilo)calories I've burned in the last 7 days
*is* an incentive to me.  It's a constant reminder that spurs me on to
improving (self-competition), which often means, "Make time to go for
a bike ride today."

So, I'll amend my earlier comments with these points:

* If the reward system is clearly valuable and tied to the site
  (v. bolted on to give rewards simply to attract people who want to
  collect badges) ...

* If the system transparently allows a community to rank up/down
  content (and, via extension, writers and commentors) ...

* If any revealed badges or point counts actually provide value
  (calorie count == yes, I made my first post == no) ...

... then I could see a point/ranking system supporting the goals Jason
stated (to get people to comment, rank, participate in polls, etc.)

If we get to the point where we are ready to give a new laptop to our
"top guru", then we have reached the point of failure.

- Karsten